Changing the Way We CareSM leverages our decades of working with vulnerable children around the world with the experience and expertise of CRS, Lumos and Maestral International.
CRS operates in more than 100 countries around the world and for decades has managed large-scale multi-country projects that support vulnerable children. CRS takes a holistic approach to child health and wellbeing to optimize physical, emotional and cognitive development. Our interventions are evidence-based, age- and stage-appropriate, and operate on multiple levels with the entire range of people involved with child and family care.
Lumos is a United Kingdom-based non-profit founded by writer J.K. Rowling, whose mission is to shine a light on the many children currently forgotten in institutions and to transform the way we care for them on a global scale. Since 2009, Lumos has helped move almost 18,000 children from harmful orphanages; prevented over 19,000 children from being admitted to orphanages; trained more than 30,000 family and community services providers; provided training and support to 34 countries; and helped redirect almost $500 million of donor funds from orphanages toward creating community-based services.
Maestral International is a global leader in helping governments to develop, strengthen, coordinate and finance child protection systems to ensure that children are cared for in safe and nurturing families. Maestral has worked in over 50 countries conducting government capacity assessments and strengthening social work case management, referrals, child and family monitoring, child and family policies, service quality and access, and program evaluation.
Our team crosses geopolitical borders, balances institutional experiences, maximizes a global footprint and leverages successes to change the way we care for vulnerable children.
Changing The Way We Care is managed by CRS, in partnership with Lumos, and Maestral International. Executive direction comes from Dr. Shannon Senefeld, SVP CRS, Georgette Mulheir, CEO Lumos, and Philip Goldman, CEO Maestral International. Our team understands that we are attempting a sea change, and we are dedicated to working with multiple organizations and people to make this happen.
- Lisa Bohmer, Senior Program Officer, International Programs, Conrad N. Hilton Foundation
- Dr. Chris Desmond, DST-NRF Centre of Excellence on Human Development at the University of Witwatersrand
- Mary Davis, CEO, Special Olympics
- Sister Eneless Chimbali, SBVM, Secretary General, Association of Consecrated Women of Eastern and Central Africa
- Sarah Gesiriech, Executive Director, Faith to Action Initiative
- Kristi Gleason, Senior Director, Bethany Christian Services
- Click here to hear Kristi speak about Changing the Way We Care
- Ambassador Jimmy Kolker, Retired Assistant Secretary for Global Affairs, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Dana Johnson, Professor of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota
- Santi Kusumaningrum, Co-Director, Center on Child Protection and Wellbeing, Universitas Indonesia
- Jini L. Roby, JD, MSW, School of Social Work, Brigham Young University
- Dan Lauer, Senior Program Officer, Children in Families, GHR Foundation
- Johannes Linn, Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Brookings
- Prof. Mark Brennan, UNESCO Chair for Rural Community, Leadership and Youth Development
- Florence Martin, Director, Better Care Network
- Ruth Messinger, Global Ambassador, American Jewish World Service
- Benyam Dawit Mezmur, Associate Professor of Law, Dullah Omar Institute for Constitutional Law, Governance and Human Rights, University of the Western Cape
- Gautam N. Yadama, PhD, Dean and Professor, School of Social Work, Boston College
- Aric Naboa, President, Discovery Learning Alliance
- Charles Nelson, PhD, Professor of Pediatrics and Neuroscience, Harvard Medical School
- Sister Patricia Murray, IBVM, Executive Secretary, International Union Superiors General
- Carsten Rasmussen, Head of Unit, Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy, European Commission
- Kathleen Strottman, Executive Director, Global Alliance for Children
- Click here to hear Kathleen speak about Changing the Way We Care
- Christina Tobias-Nahi, Director of Public Affairs, Islamic Relief
- Stephen Ucembe, Regional Advocacy Manager, East and Southern Arica, Hope and Homes for Children
- Christa White, Senior VP of Global Development and Government Relations, Special Olympics
- Nicole Wilke, Research Fellow, Christian Alliance for Orphans
- Cornelius Williams, Associate Director and Global Chief of Child Protection, UNICEF
- Ann Winblad, Founding Partner of Hummer Winblad
- Alia Zureiket, Adviser to HRH Prince Mired Zeid Al-Hussein (Jordan), President of the Higher National Council on Disability